“I need to hire an assistant.” It runs through every boutique owners’ mind at some point, usually when it’s midnight and she’s on her third hour of fulfilling orders.
But hiring an assistant can sound scary. What if you don’t have the sales to support paying her? What if you don’t have clear expectations of what you need her to do?
The thing about hiring help is that it prevents burnout. Every entrepreneur is guilty of the “I just have one more little thing to finish up” mindset (yeah, there’s always something to work on, right?) and an “I know how to do it, so I might as well keep doing it myself” attitude. The thing is, sure, we’re capable and brilliant and creative, BUT one day, the entrepreneur who never enlists help wakes up and finds that she’s lost (or gained!) lots of weight, she absolutely HATES her job and has no desire to lift a finger on it, and her personal relationships are all but nonexistent.
Putting systems into place in the early days and outsourcing the tasks that you can afford to outsource will prevent burnout.
Let’s talk about 6 fo sho signs that you are ready to hire an assistant.
WHEN IS IT TIME TO HIRE AN ASSISTANT?
- Your family never sees you. Okay, so in the beginning month or two of launching a new business, you’re going to be swamped. That’s life. But most entrepreneurs have chosen this unpredictable work from home lifestyle to be able to choose our own hours and see our family when we want to. So if your family is starting to notice your absence, it’s time to make some changes.
- You aren’t having fun anymore. When things start to feel like a slog, you dread certain aspects of running your business, it’s time to delegate and outsource.
- Things are slipping through the cracks. Whether it’s shipments going out late, customer service emails sitting ignored in your inbox, or inventory sitting around in boxes and not yet listed on your shop site, when you start to feel like you just have too many balls in the air, you might need an assistant.
- Your “to do” list never shrinks. You have to answer emails, post on social media, order inventory, take photos, upload product to your shop… and as soon as you get one thing checked off your list, you’re adding something new to it. Guess what? Time to hire an assistant.
- Self care? What’s that? You’re so busy working your business that you’ve gotten totally off track with your beloved bubble baths, your workout plan, or – yes, it happens to the best of us – eating at regular intervals! DEFINITELY time to hire an assistant.
- You aren’t hitting your sales goals. This one seems counter intuitive, but I promise, it’s the truth! If your sales are continuously growing and then start to plateau, it may mean that you need to delegate the menial, day-to-day stuff so that you can focus on building your business.
The thing about being an entrepreneur is that it’s tough to look at your business from the inside and know for certain that you’re ready to scale and hire an assistant.
If you read this list and found yourself nodding your head so hard you got a migraine? Chances are you’re ready to hire an assistant!
Want more tips for solopreneurs and those leaving direct sales? Join my free Facebook group!